Senior citizens often have specific nutrition needs. An in home care provider in the NYC area can help your loved ones to get the appropriate nutrition
Senior citizens often have specific nutrition needs. An in home care provider in the NYC area can help your loved ones to get the appropriate nutrition while avoiding foods that won’t help them feel their best. Here are a few foods that your in home caregiver suggest to the elderly and some they recommend avoiding.
Foods that Will Help Seniors Feel Their Best
Everyone should eat a variety of foods to get a wide range of nutrients but it’s even more important for seniors because their bodies don’t process supplements and foods the way they did when the individuals were younger. Try to include these foods:
- Brightly colored fruits and vegetables have high fiber and water contents that will help to keep an individual’s digestive system healthy; the fiber will help them to feel satisfied but not overly full.
- Salmon and other fatty fish, when cooked or prepared properly, are safer sources of Omega 3 fatty acids and Vitamin D.
- Legumes are an easy way to get extra fiber, which can help to clean out an individual’s arteries and lessen the risk of heart issues.
Foods That Seniors Should Not Eat:
It is true that seniors should eat a wide range of foods, but there are some that may not help an elderly individual to feel their best, or may actually introduce bacteria into their systems. Foods to avoid include:
- Alfalfa or bean sprouts: While these are healthy, bacteria can grow with the plant, allowing an individual to ingest bacteria as they eat the sprout.
- Raw fish, like sushi or sashimi, raw beef fillet and steak tartare: Because these are not cooked, there’s a possibility that bacteria could make your loved one sick.
Every senior citizen’s nutritional needs are different – some may have foods to avoid because of health conditions, and it’s important to talk to a doctor before making big changes to your loved one’s diet. If you need an in home care provider in the New York area to help you care for your family member and get their nutrition on track, then request a consultation with EvergreenChoice and find out how we can help you.