Eating the right kind of foods at the right amounts can keep your help keep your elderly loved one’s mind and body in top condition, increase their resistance against infections, and help them to recuperate faster. It can also help them to stay emotionally balanced and maintain a more positive outlook on life. Since healthy eating is especially important for seniors, home care services in NYC try their best to make sure you get everything you need to ensure proper nutrition.
Best Foods for Optimum Senior Nutrition
Studies indicate that elderly people are at higher risk for arthritis, heart disease, cancer, chronic respiratory diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, influenza and pneumonia. They are also at a higher risk for obesity, oral health problems and depression, and are prone to sustaining injuries from falls. However, chances of catching these diseases can be reduced through proper nutrition and regular exercise. Keeping these things in mind, here are some of the foods home care providers recommend seniors eat:
- Fresh fruits. Colorful fruits such as tomatoes, carrots, blueberries, and sweet potato contain significant amounts of vitamins and antioxidants. These nutrients can increase the body’s resistance against the damaging effects free radicals, the harmful molecules that cause cancer and other chronic health conditions.
- Green leafy vegetables. Broccoli, collard greens, kale and spinach also contain high amounts of nutrients (such as vitamins A, C and E, calcium, magnesium and potassium) and antioxidants that can help stave off chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer. These can also help prevent bone problems and reduce the risk for cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Whole grain foods. Adding oatmeal and quinoa to a senior’s diet can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke, heart disease and cancer.
- This fatty fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which is good for both the heart and the brain.
- Yogurt, cottage cheese and milk fortified with vitamin D contain significant amounts of calcium which is great for bone health.
- Eggs contain rich amounts of choline, a B vitamin essential for brain health.
- Raisins contain substances that fight the bacteria which cause cavities and gum disease.
Need help making sure that your elderly loved one is eating right? Home care services in NYC can help ensure that they are eating healthy every day. Contact Evergreen Choice for more details.