Finding home care for a relative can be stressful, and there’s a lot to think about. If you’re looking for a starting point for your research, consider these topics.
Professionals at home care agencies are trained to provide varying levels of care for individuals in their own homes. With planning, the experience of finding the right home care professional in the state of New York can be pleasant. There are certain situations when a long-term care program is appropriate, but in other situations, home care may only be needed for a short time.
Because a home caregiver will be spending quite a bit of time with your loved one, you want to be sure you feel comfortable with them and that the agency they work for is in good standing with the licensing board in New York. To make that experience as easy as possible, there’s a series of topics to discuss during your initial consultations to determine whether a specific home care agency is right for your family.
Six Topics to Explore When Hiring a Home Care Agency
- Find out about the company’s licensing. In your consultation, be sure to ask whether the company is licensed through the state and when their last inspection was. You may also want to contact the state licensing agency afterward to inquire about the company’s reputation.
- Ask if caregivers are treated as employees of the agency, bonded and insured.
- Find out how care plans are developed. Does a registered nurse or medical professional develop a care plan and share that with the caregiver?
- Ask about the hiring process for caregivers. Find out if the agency conducts background checks and examines potential caregivers’ references before hiring.
- Find out whether you can have services begin quickly and whether or not the agency you’re considering has a 24-hour live answer hotline for emergency situations.
- Ask if the agency offers short-term and long-term care options.
If you’re in New York and looking for the right home care agency for your family, contact the professionals at Evergreen Choice today to learn about their in-home care services