The decision to hire a in home caregiver in New York City is a tough one. But what if you already have a caregiver and you aren’t sure whether or not they are a good fit for you and your elderly loved one? How do you tell if the person or agency that you have hired is a good fit? If you find yourself wondering whether or not it’s time to consider a new in home caregiver, then consider the following.
Signs That a In Home Caregiver Isn’t Right for Your Family
- Your current caregiver either doesn’t handle a specific type of crucial activity. For example, perhaps they are ok with working at the house but will not either pick up groceries or drive your loved one to the grocery store.
- Your current caregiver does not have experience working with certain medical conditions. If your elderly loved one has some sort of dementia for example, then your caregiver needs to be able to work with this.
- Your current caregiver does not mesh well with your loved ones personality. Having a strong relationship between caregiver and your elderly loved one is critical.
Steps to Choosing a New In Home Caregiver
It can be overwhelming to choose a new caregiver, whether due to circumstances like those listed above or circumstances outside of your control. Following the next few steps might make this process easier.
- Get recommendations. Talk to your friends and family members, visit senior centers and talk to workers there. Another place to find recommendations is to contact your area agency on aging, which offers a wide variety of services for seniors.
- Set up individual interviews with potential caregivers. Once you’ve chosen a field of applicants whose qualifications you are interested in, have face-to-face interviews and ask them about their capability to complete the jobs you’re expecting them to do. Have someone you trust sit in on the interview to give you another opinion.
- Have finalists interact with your relative. Be sure you watch their interactions. If you’re comfortable with what you see, ask your family member to weigh in afterward, if they are able.
At EvergreenChoice, we offer a variety of services from practical assistance to social activity to help your loved ones to complete their daily activities and to provide companionship.